Thursday, February 2, 2012

Just another day in Stenay (sung to the tune of "Just two little girls from Little Rock")

In a strange mood today. Most likely a result of my first unsuccessful attempt at adulthood of the day. I awoke (sounds dramatic, doesn't it?) moments before my alarm went off, thus sparing myself the pain of waking up to that universally horrible beeping noise, and automatically putting me in a good mood, and I thought to myself:  "I'll start the day off productively, let's go do some dishes." But little did I know that my attempt at cleanliness would be foiled by the very elements themselves (da da duuuummmmmm). This is all a very melodramatic way of saying that I couldn't do the dishes this morning because everything in the sink was frozen solid and in one big chunk (but wasn't it more fun with a little creative rhetoric?). Obviously, being from predominantly warm countries, I found this hilariously absurd and made a point to mention it to my colleagues. But when I did, the other teachers couldn't understand the point of the story. They looked at me as if to say "Doesn't everyone wake to find their dirty dishes frozen together? Surely this is how a normal morning begins." The cultural (or climate-al) misunderstanding was fun for us all. We all learned something today. And as teachers, isn't that what's most important?

No comments:

Post a Comment